Who We Are › Our Impact
|Photo: Peter Biro/IRC|
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people survive, recover and rebuild their lives.
We restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
In 2012, the IRC restored hope and opportunity for millions of conflict-affected people around the world. Here’s a look at some of our recent achievements:
- Our doctors, nurses and community health workers provided 14 million people with primary and reproductive health care.
- We gave 1.4 million people access to clean drinking water and sanitation.
- We vaccinated over 292,000 children against disease and our IRC-supported clinics and hospitals helped 151,000 women deliver healthy babies.
- We provided schooling or child friendly spaces for 589,000 girls and boys, and trained over 15,000 educators.
- We treated or vaccinated over 477,000 head of livestock.
- We counseled and cared for over 22,000 survivors of sexual violence and educated and mobilized over 982,000 men, women and children to lead prevention efforts in their communities.
- We counseled or cared for over 19,000 vulnerable children and provided skills training or access to financial services to over 3,000 youth entrepreneurs.
- Through our Resettlement Support Center in Thailand, we assisted over 14,000 refugees who departed from camps and cities in East Asia to enter United States and build new lives with help from the IRC and sister resettlement agencies.
- In the United States, we helped resettle some 7,600 newly arrived refugees and provided services to over 24,500 refugees, asylees and victims of human trafficking.
- We created 789 village savings and loan associations (VSLAs) in 9 countries that benefited over 18,000 members.
- The American Institute of Philanthropy gives the IRC an A+.
- Forbes gives the IRC high ratings for program efficiency and fundraising efficiency.
- The Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance notes the IRC meets all 20 of its standards.
- Charity Navigator awards us four stars, its highest rating.
Of every $1 the IRC spends, more than 90¢ goes to programs and services that directly benefit refugees and communities affected by war or disaster.
Be a part of our work