Cultural Orientation Intern
TITLE: Cultural Orientations (CO) Intern
COUNTRY PROGRAM: US Programs
LOCATION: Phoenix, AZ
DURATION: Minimum of 3 months
SCOPE OF WORK: All newly arrived refugees with the IRC in Phoenix attend a series of Cultural Orientation (CO) classes. The Cultural Orientation Intern will be responsible for assisting with program logistics and teaching CO classes under the supervision of the Orientation Coordinator. CO classes are targeted to adult refugees and class size or composition will vary. Additionally, the Cultural Orientation Intern will assess client learning and may provide additional training including public transit trainings in cooperation with staff and volunteers.
- Train newly arrived refugees on basic life and adjustment skills during twice weekly Cultutral Orientation classes;
- Provide weekly public transit training to newly arrived refugees in the field;
- Assess client learning using established evaluation tools and CO objectives;
- Provide logistical support for all CO classes, including setting up classroom space, coordinating training schedules for clients and maintaining CO materials;
- Report weekly to the Orientation Coordinator and Adult Education Supervisor concerning clients and classes;
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
LEARNING OUTCOMES: Skill development in cross-cultural communications, training and adult education, curriculum development, logistics management, refugee resettlement, cultutral competency and experience working in a fast paced non-profit professional environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with partners, colleagues, and clients in a cross-cultural, team based environment;
- Experience teaching or training preferred;
- Excellent intercultural communication skills and experience working with diverse populations;
- Must have access to reliable transportation or own vehicle;
- Availability on Monday and Wednesday afternoons required.