Education Specialist Intern
TITLE: Education Specialist Intern
COUNTRY PROGRAM: US Programs
LOCATION: Phoenix, AZ
DURATION: Minimum of 3 months
BACKGROUND: Through a partnership with the Department of State, the IRC assists over 11,000 refugees to resettle in the U.S. every year. IRC staff meet refugees at the airport and provide initial housing, furnishings, food, and clothing. These Core Services—Reception & Placement (R&P)—address the basic needs of food, shelter, education and legal rights for refugees in the early, critical stages of resettlement in order to begin their transition toward rapid self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Education Specialist Intern will work with IRC refugee clients within the K-12 system. Responsibilities for this position include; filling out school enrollment forms during the summer for the upcoming school year. This individual will assist in the enrollment process at the IRC phoenix office, client’s homes, as well as in schools when needed. This position will also entail recruiting IRC clients to attend summer programs in their respective schools with the collaboration of the refugee school coordinator, school case workers, and school personnel.
- Plan, arrange, and facilitate group activities for refugee students & parents
- Assist refugee children who have just arrived to Arizona in enrolling for school during the summer.
- Assist refugee children for the upcoming year for school enrollment with the assistance of school caseworkers and the schools
- Assist families that move during the summer to ensure that they have the correct school paperwork to enroll for the upcoming school year.
- Assist in summer school program enrollment and coordination for refugee students
- Experience working with families and youth, or refugee communities is preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Must be organized, detail oriented and a self starter
- Computer literate including use of email and internet searches
- Culturally competent
- Must have a valid driver’s license, insurance and access to reliable transportation
- Have a strong desire to work with refugee youth and make an impact for their academic advancement
This position reports to the Refugee School Coordinator.