Health Specialist Intern
TITLE: Health Specialist Intern
COUNTRY PROGRAM: US Programs
LOCATION: Phoenix, AZ
DURATION: Minimum of 3 months
BACKGROUND: Through a partnership with the Department of State, the IRC assists over 11,000 refugees to resettle in the U.S. every year. IRC staff meet refugees at the airport and provide initial housing, furnishings, food, and clothing. These Core Services—Reception & Placement (R&P)—address the basic needs of food, shelter and legal rights for refugees in the early, critical stages of resettlement in order to begin their transition toward rapid self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Health Specialist team provides ongoing health and medical assistance to refugees as part of case management. The Health Specialist Intern will assist in the logistics of medical appointments for clients as well as working to ensure data entry regarding health appointments is completed in a timely manner. The Health Specialist Intern will also assist in the maintenance and availability of health information relevant to refugees.
- Coordinate medical appointments for clients, including initial health screenings, dental or eye appointments, and other medical follow up visits;
- Input health and medical data in a timely and accurate manner using IRC databases as well as provide other program support;
- Assist Health Specialist team in the transportation of clients to medical appointments or health screenings;
- Maintain health information and materials relevant to refugee populations;
- Other relevant duties as assigned.
- Experience in the public health sector working with vulnerable populations preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with partners, colleagues, and clients in a cross-cultural, team based environment;
- Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with MS Office Suite;
- Commitment to client confidentiality;
- Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle with current insurance, and the ability to travel regularly throughout the service delivery area;
- Strong attention to detail and commitment to client confidentiality.
This position reports to the Health Specialist Case Worker and the Case Work Supervisor.