Holiday Giving Campaign (HGC) Intern
TITLE: Holiday Giving Campaign (HGC) Intern
LOCATION: US Programs – IRC in Phoenix
DURATION: Five months (August/Sept. through January)
Background: Founded in 1933, the IRC is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. The IRC opened an office in Phoenix, Arizona in 1994 to provide reception and placement services to newly arrived refugees. A committed staff of professionals and volunteers provide essential resettlement services to refugee families including basic necessities, education, employment, social services and advocacy.
Scope: The annual Holiday Giving Campaign provides newly arrived refugee families with gifts of greatly needed items from donors in the community. In 2013, over 400 refugees received presents totaling in $79,000 worth of gifts, services and volunteer time. This year, the IRC will expanding its efforts to include bicycle drives in the hope of distributing over 200 bicycles to refugees for commuting to work, in addition to the annual adopt-a-family program. The Holiday Giving Campaign Intern will work directly with the In-Kind Coordinator in ensuring that
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the In-Kind Outreach Coordinator, the intern will be responsible for the following:
- Assist in soliciting community members for holiday contributions;
- Communicate with refugees the logistics of delivery and completion of necessary documentation;
- Assist with coordination of volunteer activities and delivery of gifts;
- Assist in administrative duties related to the Holiday Giving Campaign.
- Effective communication and writing skills;
- Ability to take initiative and complete projects in a timely manner;
- Detail-orientated and organized;
- An interest in international and refugee issues and ability to communicate in a cross-cultural environment;
- At least 2 years college required.