Refugee Vocational ESL Internship
This year, the IRC in Oakland will be resettling international refugees from Eritrea, Bhutan, Burma, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sri Lanka, and Mongolia. The Resettlement Services Program is the first point of contact for newly arrived refugees and offers support, guidance and counseling though all stages of resettlement. A crucial part of these services helping clients learn English language skills. This internship is a wonderful opportunity for anyone intersted in getting their TESOL/TEFL certification, teaching English as a second language abroad or at home, or helping newly arrived refugees settle into the Oakland community.
- Help newly arrived refugees learn English through assisting ESL teachers each week with their class. This includes leading break out groups, one-on-one mentoring, facilitating activities, etc.
- Prepare materials for each class and assist with classroom set up and clean up
- Other duties as needed
- Solidly reliable with strong attention to timelines
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and with supervisors)
- Possess a great attention to detail and be truly organized
- Have a strong sense of personal initiative and be able to work independently in a fast-paced office.
- An interest in international and refugee issues
- Computer literacy with PC systems
- Minimum of 2 years of completed undergraduate experience
8 hours per week. Must be available for a 5 hour shift every Wednesday from 9 am - 1 pm and then for another 3 hour to be completed during the work week (this shift is flexible).
POSITIONS AVAILABLE: 1unpaid positions
Apply by sending your resume and a cover letter as a single Word document to Rachel Taber at Rachel.Taber@rescue.org. Title email “ESLIntern"
* Cover letters should clearly state your time availability, which includes 1) a specific, projected start and end date, 2) the number of hours you are available each week, and 3) the days and times in which you are available.