First Things First Women’s Literacy Intern
First Things First is an innovative program that provides intensive beginning English as a Second Language (ESL) services to refugee women, while their young children participate in on-site educational childcare. The ESL topics are tailored to the specific survival needs of women and families. Each day, the women’s and children’s classes come together for a joint mother-child activity that reinforces the day’s learning.
This internship is 10 hours a week for a minimum of 3 months. Interns must be available during class time 9:30-11:30am Monday to Thursday.
- Assist instructor with developing and implementing pre-literacy and literacy-level appropriate activities
- Assist instructor in daily classroom activities, including one-on-one tutoring, leading small group practice, and teaching specific components of the curriculum
- Support program activities by researching new curriculum content and preparing educational materials as requested by instructor
- Assist with record-keeping, data entry, and file maintenance to support program administration
- Support structure and schedule of program
- Participate in monthly staff meetings
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Must be comfortable working in a cross-cultural environment
- Experience working with refugees or immigrants preferred
- Previous teaching experience a plus
- Must be flexible and creative
- Must have initiative and be able to work independently
- Enthusiastic, positive attitude
For more information or to apply, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at VolunteerATL@Rescue.org or 678-636-8928.