Volunteer with the IRC in Baltimore
Welcome to the IRC in Baltimore Volunteer webpage! Here you can learn about getting involved with our refugee resettlement efforts as a volunteer, intern, advocate, or donate to our Resettlement Shop.
We are excited that you are interested in volunteering with the IRC in Baltimore! Many refugees find their first few months in the U.S. a very challenging experience. Learning English, finding a job, and adjusting to a new life simultaneously is no small task. On behalf of our staff and the refugees we serve, we would like to extend our gratitude to all potential volunteers. Through your various forms of commitment, we take pride in your dedication towards our ongoing efforts to resettle refugees in the Baltimore area.
The purpose of the IRC's comprehensive volunteer and intern program is to help refugees complete their journey from harm to home by engaging community members who increase effectiveness through directly serving refugees and providing support behind the scenes.
Steps to becoming an IRC Volunteer:
1. Get to know the IRC in Baltimore and learn more about how you can be involved by attending a monthly information session. The information session is held on the last Monday of every month from 5:00-7:00pm at the IRC in Baltimore office located at 3516 Eastern Ave., Baltimore, MD 21224. To request a listing of current volunteer and intern opportunities or RSVP for the information session, email us at Volunteerbaltimore@rescue.org.
2. When you are ready to join the IRC as a volunteer, fill out the volunteer application and email it back to our Volunteer Coordinator, Ms. Kafiya Ismail at Volunteerbaltimore@rescue.org. You can receive an application when you attend the information session or request one via email. When completing the application, please provide email addresses and local phone numbers for your references, and specific information regarding your availability and interests. Please note that due to the large number of volunteer applications that we receive, we are unable to accept all applicants.
3. Complete an interview with the Volunteer Coordinator and additional staff as required to determine whether there is an appropriate volunteer position available for you.
4. The Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to suggest a placement that meets your skills, interests and availability as well as the needs of the IRC in Baltimore and the population we serve.
5. Once you complete an interview and agree to a suggested position with the Volunteer Coordinator, the IRC will conduct a background check. Your volunteer placement will only be confirmed after your background check is cleared. The IRC in Baltimore requests that you donate $30 toward the cost of your IRC background check before your first day of service.
6. When your placement is confirmed, the Volunteer Coordinator will work with you and the appropriate staff person to schedule your first day. All newly accepted volunteers are required to attend an orientation session to learn about office policies, confidentiality, and communication guidelines, and to make all efforts to participate in ongoing training opportunities.
The application process typically takes at least two weeks to complete (including the background check).
We accept new or gently used:
- Household goods (tableware, kitchen supplies, linens) (for larger furniture items, please contact us to schedule a pick up)
- Seasonally appropriate clothing & shoes--We are now accepting coats, boots, gloves, and hats.
- Shopping bags
If you are interested in donating to our Resettlement Shop, please email email@example.com, prior to dropping off a donation.