Intern at the IRC in Dallas
Family Mentors/English Tutor: Mentor recently arrived refugee families by helping them practice their conversational English and become familiar with their new community.
Donation and Volunteer Support: Assist the development staff in bringing community resources into the organization and distributing them to clients in an organized fashion.
Interpreter Support: Help by providing interpretation during home visits, meetings, workshops and employer orientations. Current languages needed are Swahili, Kinyarwanda, Arabic, Nepal, and Burmese.
Resource Development Intern: Assist the IRC in Dallas in planning and conducting development efforts; building volunteer networks; soliciting, collecting, managing, and tracking donations; and assisting with advocacy for refugees and public education about refugees and IRC. See full job description.
Classroom Assistant Intern: Assist the Lewisville Ready to Work Program in providing ESL and vocational training instruction to refugees. See full job description.
Other opportunities include: Civics/English teaching support, office support, drivers, volunteer support, and donation drives.
All internships listed are unpaid. Interested Intern applicants for the Fall, urged to apply by July 1, 2013.
- A minimum commitment of 15 hours per week for 4 months;
- Enrollment in a Bachelor’s or post-graduate degree program OR pursuing a relevant career direction;
- Effective communication skills and the ability to collaborate professionally in a multicultural setting;
- An interest in international and refugee issues;
- Reliability and flexibility;
- A willingness to learn about the diverse ethnic backgrounds of clients; and adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies.