Employment Specialist Intern
Job Title: Employment Specialist Intern
Country Profile: US Programs
Location: Los Angeles
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee in Los Angeles is a non-profit, non-sectarian refugee resettlement agency dedicated to working together with legally admitted refugees to assist them in rebuilding lives and reuniting families in the greater Los Angeles area. A committed staff of professionals and volunteers provide essential resettlement services to refugee families including basic necessities, education, employment, social services and advocacy.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Employment Specialist intern will assist the Employment Specialist through client vocational skills development and job placement.
COMMITMENT: Interns have the opportunity to work at least 10-15 hours per week, Monday through Friday, for a minimum of 12 weeks during the semester. This is an unpaid internship.
• Assist with the client enrollment process into the Early Employment program
• Provide one-on-one support through the development of client vocational skills
• Help identify potential employment through job searches, employer interaction, and assessment of client skill set
• Assist client with resumes, job application, mock interviews, and other job readiness activities
• Cultivate relationships with past and current employers
1. Intern will learn about vocational development process for newly arrived refugees
• Current undergraduate, graduate student, or less than one year out of school
• Candidates with a background in tutoring and employment training are preferred
• Candidates with a background in sales, marketing and community outreach preferred
• Strong writing and communication skills a plus
• Able to work independently with minimal supervision
• Must be comfortable working with individuals of varying cultural backgrounds
• Experience with Microsoft Office programs and internet search engines are highly recommended
• Willingness to travel within Glendale, as well as the greater Los Angeles area
This position reports to the Employment Specialist.
To apply please send a résumé to Alondra Suarez, Volunteer Coordinator: Alondra.Suarez@rescue.org