Reception and Placement Volunteer
Job Title: Reception and Placement Volunteer
Country Profile: US Programs
Location: Los Angeles
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities to restore safety, dignity and hope, the IRC leads the way from harm to home. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: The Reception and Placement program enables refugees to resume a productive life in their new country by providing an array of social services. The Reception and Placement volunteer will help the department with administrative and casework assistance. The time committment is a minimum of 3 months, 4-6 hours a week or more, with flexible days and times.
• Conduct client follow up through phone and email for missing information
• Assist caseworker with updating case files with relevant information
• Interact with the Refugee’s family anchor regarding appointment, missing information and assist with any resettlement questions
• Conduct translation and interpretation, if able to do so
• Clerical work such as filing, copying, labeling
• Occasionally conduct home visits
• Must be culturally sensitive and respectful of various backgrounds, lifestyles and beliefs
• Comfortable making phone calls/cold calls
• Respect client privacy and treat family information as confidential
• Flexibility, resourcefulness, and easy-going attitude a plus
• Fluent in English; Fluency in Arabic, Armenian, Farsi, is preferred
• Report volunteer hours monthly to volunteer management staff
• Willing to work with clients at our Glendale office
Contact: Alondra Serna, Volunteer Coordinator: Alondra.Serna@rescue.org
IRC leading the way From Harm To Home.