Refugee Financial Literacy Internship
This year, the IRC in Oakland will be resettling international refugees from Eritrea, Bhutan, Burma, Afghanistan, Iraq, Sri Lanka, and Mongolia. The Resettlement Services Program is the first point of contact for newly arrived refugees and offers support, guidance and counseling though all stages of resettlement. As part of these services, the need for financial literacy training and mentoring is great. All incoming refugees need to understand basic financial services and learn how to access them as needed.
10 - 15 hours per week to be completed between Monday – Wednesday 9 am – 4 pm; Position to begin week of January . internship is unpaid.
- Complete individualized budgeting session with refugees to teach them how to manage income and expenses
- Assist refugees with setting up bank accounts, explaning checks, utilizing ATMs, and other financial services
- Assist with teach vocational English classes based on financial literacy concepts
- Help refugees understand and make their International Organization of Migration (IOM) loan repayments
- Organized with great attention to detail
- Reliable and flexible
- Able to work independently and under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- An interest in international and refugee issues
- Creativity and initiative to follow through on projects
- Strong desire to help people and enthusiasm for working in a multi-cultural setting
- Computer literacy – preferably with PC systems
- Currently pursuing or recently completed relevant masters program
- Teaching experience in any realm
Interns are required to work between 15-20 hours per week for the time period. Office hours are from 9 am – 4 pm and interns are expected to work full or half days during the regular business week M – F to meet this time commitment.
Apply by sending your resume and a cover letter as a single pdf or Word document to Volunteer & Internship Coordinator Rachel Taber at Rachel.Taber@rescue.org. Title document “IRC Financial Literacy Intern”
Cover letters should clearly state 1) your time availability (include a specific and projected start and end date and your availability during the week) and 2) why you are interested in this position
Applications will be accepted until November 30th. Qualified applicants will be invited for an interview in person or via Skype (for those that are out of town) between December 2nd - 10th.
We look forward to reviewing your application!