Event Management Intern
*Please note that this is an unpaid internship.
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new refugee arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK:
The Event Management intern will work closely with the Volunteer & Internship Coodinator and Development Manager to identify donor prospects for Thanksgiving dinner event in Novemeber from local businesses and restaurants. This is a unique opportunity to gain skills in an essential component of non-profit work and event planning.
- 10 – 15 hours per week to be completed during regular business hours, M-F 9 am – 4 pm
- IRC is committed to working with student schedules. As such, we are flexible with to accommodate time off for midterms and school holidays, and altering time availability with changing class schedules.
- Contacting local businesses and restaurants for potential donations
- Data entry of donations and assist in gift acknowledgements
- Plan event logistics, including location, theme, menu, and entertainment
- Create event flyers for distributions and write press releases to local media
- Assist with day of set up and tear down
- Coordinate volunteers for assistance the day of the event
- Assist with office activities as needed
We require that candidates have the following qualities:
- Solidly reliable with strong attention to timeliness
- Excellent communication skills (both interpersonal and written)
- Possess a great attention to detail and organization
- Have a strong sense of personal initiative and be able to work independently in a fast-paced office
- Desire to gain skills in the development area of non-profit management
- An interest in international and refugee issues
- Computer literacy with PC systems
- Minimum of 2 years of completed undergraduate experience
- 4 month commitment
- Gain first hand experience and knowledge of event planning, donation coordination and nonprofit fundraising.
- Gain nonprofit professional experience. Interns are seen and utilized as an extension of IRC staff, and all leave their internship with transferable skills that can help launch a career within the nonprofit sector.
This position reports to the Volunteer & Internship Coordinator.
Apply by sending your resume, a cover letter, and short writing sample as a single Word document to Volunteer & Internship Coordinator Rachel Taber at Rachel.Taber@rescue.org . Title document “Event Intern Application”.
* Cover letters should clearly state your time availability, which includes 1) a specific, projected start and end date, 2) the number of hours you are available each week, and 3) the days and times in which you are available.
IRC leading the way from harm to home.