ALERT Coalition Intern
Title: ALERT Coalition Intern
Country Program: US Programs
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Duration: Minimum of 3 months
BACKGROUND: The Arizona League to End Regional Trafficking (ALERT) began in 2003 as a program to assist victims of human trafficking with shelter, meeting basic needs, legal assistance and mental health counseling. Funded by the Department of Justice Office of Victims of Crime, ALERT also works with victims to help them participate in the prosecution of these crimes. ALERT maintains a 24 hour per day, 7 day per week Hotline that allows victims, the public, law enforcement, social agencies and others to speak with an expert in the field of human trafficking. To increase public awareness of the often hidden problem of modern day slavery, the ALERT Team engages in street outreach and a media campaign to encourage people to “Look beneath the Surface” in order to locate victims who often are afraid to identify themselves. ALERT provides training to law enforcement personnel, students, social service organizations, first responders, health care personnel, faith-based groups and others in order to identify and assist those who are traumatized by the inhumane conditions of forced labor or sexual servitude.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Arizona League to End Regional Trafficking (ALERT) works to combat human trafficking in Arizona. ALERT provides services to victims of trafficking, runs a 24 hotline for victims and those who suspect situations of trafficking, coordinates a state wide coalition against human trafficking, and provides professional and community training on the issue of human trafficking. The ALERT coalition intern will work with staff to develop and further relationship in the anti-trafficking community in Arizona.
RESPONSIBILITIES: As a member of the ALERT team, the Coalition Intern will assist with the following:
- Manage ALERT contact list
- Outreach to local related coalitions
- Finalize coalition documents
- Set meeting schedule and venues for coming year
- Create strategic plan for ALERT coalition
- Examine the structures of other anti-trafficking coalitions
- Put together final report describing project and findings
- Intern will be required to create their own work plan, evaluation measures and present final project to ALERT team.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to take initiative and work independently;
- Empathy and open mindedness;
- Must be comfortable working in a cross-cultural environment.