VELT Coordination Intern
Title: VELT Coordination Intern
Country Program: US Programs
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Duration: Minimum 3 months commitment
Scope: The VELT Coordination Intern will work with staff and volunteers to coordinate Vocational English Language Training (VELT) occurring at the IRC. The VELT program incorporates a nationally recognized curriculum and relevant workplace language capacity building to bridge the language gap which isolates many newly arrivaled refugees. Language is often one of the most difficult barriers to gaining employment, self-advocating and integrating into a new society. The refugee students are incredibly motivated and eager to learn English and participate in this program, which will help them obtain employment and gain economic self-sufficiency.
Responsibilities: Under the supervision of the Workforce Development Employment Program Coordinator, the VELT Coordination Intern will:
- Provide coordination and orientation to new VELT volunteer instructors;
- Conduct client English language pre and post-assessments, interview and placement;
- Oversee VELT curriculum development, materials and instructors' lesson planning;
- Schedule client check-ins and observe classes on a weekly basis;
- Assist with providing continued training and resources to VELT volunteer instructors;
- Assist with record-keeping, data entry, and file maintenance to support program administration;
- Participate in planning to support structure and schedule of program, and provide for smooth transition of program at completion of internship;
- Monitor and report success indicators and class attendance, ensuring that the appropriate documentation is utilized.
- Experience teaching/tutoring or studies in a related field;
- Must be organized, detail-oriented and a self-starter;
- Strong desire and dedication to help others;
- Exercise cultural sensitivity and excellent cross-cultural communication skills;
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft office;
- Must be available to contribute approximately 20 hours per week for a minimum duration of 3 months—Monday-Thursday, 1-6pm is the preferred schedule.
This position reports to the Workforce Development Program Coordinator.