This position is now closed to applications
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
The Casework Intern will be assigned to work directly with an IRC Caseworker to assist with a variety of activities such as giving orientations to newly arrived clients, visiting clients’ homes, and accompanying clients on the bus to appointments. The intern may also assist with paperwork and general office duties as needed. This is a great opportunity to get ‘field experience’ and see many of the challenges refugees face once they arrive in the U.S.
LOCATION: IRC SeaTac office - 16256 Military Road S., SeaTac, WA 98188
TIME COMMITMENT: 2 days a week (preferably Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday), 5-10 hrs/week between the hours of 9am and 3pm (regular schedule strongly preferred), beginning late-June and continuing through mid-September
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
• Provide orientations to newly arrived refugees in their apartments
• Accompany clients to the bank and with other errands
• Ride the bus with clients to their appointments
• General office duties as required
• Must be culturally sensitive and able (or willing to try) to understand limited English speakers
• Willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
• Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
• Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and articulately in English; additional fluency in a refugee language helpful
• Must be flexible, patient, and willing to perform other reasonable duties as needed
• Access to own car to help with family visits and orientations
• Excellent problem solving skills
Note: It may be possible to obtain school credit for this internship, depending on your school policies and requirements. If this is desired, please mention it when applying.
Reports to: Assigned Caseworker
Submit a resume, cover letter, and internship application to Seattle@Rescue.org with the position title you’re applying for in the subject line by May 20th, 2012. Applicants will not be contacted for interviews until all materials are received.
Please note, positions may be filled prior to May 20th, so return your completed application as soon as possible.