SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
IRC Caseworkers help refugees from all over the world settle into a new home and new life in the U.S. The Casework Internship position involves working directly with the IRC Casework Staff to assist with a variety of activities primarily in our SeaTac office. The Intern will help with case files, make phone calls, assist with scheduling, and other tasks as assigned. These tasks are essential in helping our office run efficiently and effectively. The Casework Intern may also assist the IRC’s Medical Caseworker with activities related to refugee health and wellness as needed. This is a great opportunity to get ‘field experience’ and see many of the challenges refugees face once they arrive in the U.S. It is also a great introduction to working in the social services field.
LOCATION: IRC SeaTac office - 16256 Military Road S., SeaTac, WA 98188
TIME COMMITMENT: 2 days/week, 5-10 hours/week between 9am and 5pm (regular schedule preferred). Position begins early September. Minimum three month commitment.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
• Help IRC Caseworkers organize and update case files and other important documentation
• Assist in scheduling appointments for refugee clients
• Help arrange transportation for clients to appointments if necessary
• Accompany staff or other volunteers on home visits, or with clients to appointments if needed
• Other administrative duties as assigned
• Must be culturally sensitive and able (or willing to try) to understand limited English speakers
• Willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
• Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
• Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and articulately in English; additional fluency in a refugee language helpful
• Must be flexible, patient and willing to perform other reasonable duties as needed
• Excellent problem solving skills
Note: It may be possible to obtain school credit for this internship, depending on your school policies and requirements. If this is desired, please mention it when applying.