Cultural Orientation Facilitator
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK: Help newly-arrived refugees learn essential information about their new home in the U.S. as a Cultural Orientation Facilitator. Facilitators lead clients through activities and discussions around cultural adjustment, public services, where to access services and what to expect from their resettlement agency. Curriculum is created and refined under the supervision of the IRC staff, but volunteers are encouraged to contribute to the development of new group activities. This is a great opportunity to gain professional experience in a social service setting. You will also be exposed to how a refugee resettlement agency operates and many of the challenges refugees face once they arrive in the U.S.
LOCATION: IRC SeaTac Office
TIME COMMITMENT: Minimum one class per week (T/W/Th, 9am-12pm). Regular schedule preferred, but not required. Position begins June 2015. Minimum 2-3 month commitment.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Facilitate small-group classes aimed at different cultural and community orientation topics, such as health and safety, public transportation and finding a job in the U.S.
- Assist case workers with outreach to clients
- Troubleshoot transportation and childcare options with refugees
- Track client participation in classes and conduct assessments at the end of each class series
- Provide feedback and collaborate with staff to make adjustments to curriculum as needed
- Respond to changing client populations and make adjustments as needed
- Must be culturally sensitive, respectful of diverse backgrounds and willing to work with English language learners; previous cross-cultural communication experience a plus
- Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
- Must be flexible, patient and willing to learn and perform reasonable duties as needed
- Ability to communicate effectively in English; additional fluency in a refugee language helpful, but not required
- Teaching, tutoring, curriculum planning or group facilitation experience a plus
- Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies