This position is now closed to applications
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
This Employment Intern will work closely with the Employment Specialist and Employment Assistant to help newly resettled refugees become employed locally. Among a number of other tasks, the intern will assist IRC clients in developing resumes and applying for job opportunities. The intern will also prepare and transport clients to job interviews and other employment-related appointments, and help them to learn and understand the local transportation system to get to and from work. During down time, the intern will work with employment staff to organize and maintain client case files. Since this position involves communicating directly with both clients and employers, the ability to communicate with English language learners is equally as important as the ability to professionally represent the IRC and its clients.
LOCATION: Mostly Tukwila and SeaTac
TIME COMMITMENT: 10- 20 hours per week, beginning mid-June through mid-September
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
• Assist IRC clients in applying for employment opportunities, preparing for job interviews, filling out new hire paperwork, and other post-employment follow-up, such as obtaining Food Handler’s Permits
• Work with IRC’s employment team to organize and maintain client case files
• Communicate with job-seekers as well as employers
• Other projects as needed
• Report hours to appropriate IRC staff on a regular basis
• Having a car is a must, as this position requires occasional transporting of clients to job-related appointments
• Familiarity with employment-related functions: writing resumes, filling out online job applications, interviewing for jobs, and filling out new hire paperwork
• Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and articulately in English; additional fluency in a refugee language helpful
• Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
• Must be an energetic and flexible self-starter
• Must be culturally sensitive
Note: It may be possible to obtain school credit for this internship, depending on your school policies and requirements. If this is desired, please mention it when applying.
Reports to: Employment Specialist/Employment Assistant
Submit a resume, cover letter, and internship application to Seattle@Rescue.org with the position title you’re applying for in the subject line by May 20th, 2012. Applicants will not be contacted for interviews until all materials are received.
Please note, positions may be filled prior to May 20th, so return your completed application as soon as possible.