Family Reunification Intern
This position is now closed to applications.
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
Help bring refugee families together again through our reunification program! As a Family Reunification Volunteer, you’ll meet one-on-one with clients and help them file applications with the U.S. government to bring eligible family members to the United States. Your responsibilities will include answering inquiries and screening applicants over the phone; informing applicants about the requirements of the program and the steps in the reunification process; scheduling appointments; meeting with clients to complete intake and application documents; and, following up on applications as needed. This position involves a high level of responsibility and requires great attention to detail. It is fairly demanding, but also a very rewarding experience to help families reunite after spending years apart.
LOCATION: IRC Seattle office – 100 S King St, Suite 570, Seattle, WA 98104
TIME COMMITMENT: 5-10 hours/week between 9am and 5pm on Mon, Tue, Wed or Thurs (regular schedule required). Position begins ASAP. Minimum commitment is 3-4 months, depending on start date.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Respond to client inquiries about the Affidavit of Relationship (AOR) program
- Assist with screening applicants over the phone, as well as walk-ins
- Become a “local expert” on the AOR program and inform potential clients about the steps and requirements involved in the family reunification process
- Schedule appointments with clients and help maintain a current schedule for all AOR volunteers
- With clients, complete intake forms and application documents and ensure all necessary information/materials are collected
- Follow up with clients as necessary throughout the application process
- Track and follow up on the status of applications as necessary
- Highly organized and detail-orientated
- Experience with intercultural communication and must be comfortable communicating with non-native English speakers
- Self-motivated with ability to work independently and professionally
- Respect privacy of clients and maintain confidentiality at all times
- Confidence in basic computer skills (program used is similar to Adobe Acrobat)
- Past experience with immigration paperwork a plus, but not required
- Interest in immigration- and refugee-related issues and processes
- Positive attitude, patience and flexibility always appreciated!