Immigration Casework Intern
This position is now closed to applications.
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
The Immigration Casework Intern will work directly with the Resettlement Program Manager/Immigration Specialist and assist with a variety of activities related to immigration. Learn about refugee and immigration related issues first-hand by helping clients fill out naturalization and adjustment of status paperwork. The intern may also assist clients who are preparing for their naturalization interview by practicing English language skills, interview skills and civics content. The intern may also assist with other administrative work and general office duties as needed. This is a great opportunity to gain experience in a social service setting and see first-hand how a refugee resettlement agency operates.
LOCATION: IRC SeaTac office - 16256 Military Road S #206, SeaTac, WA 98188
TIME COMMITMENT: 2 days/week, 5-10 hours/week between 9am and 5pm (regular schedule preferred). Position begins in June. Minimum three month commitment.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Help clients will out naturalization and change of status paperwork
- Assist Immigration Specialist with paperwork, record-keeping and filing
- Help clients prepare for naturalization interviews
- Administrative and general office tasks as needed
- Must be culturally sensitive and able (or willing to try) to understand English language learners
- Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
- Must be detail-oriented and well-organized
- Must be flexible, patient, and willing to perform other reasonable duties as needed
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in English; additional fluency in a refugee language helpful, but not required
- Familiarity with immigration paperwork a plus
- Willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies