Logistics and Donation Intern
This position is now closed to applications.
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
Help welcome refugees into our community by setting up apartments and securing donations of in-kind goods for new arrivals! The Logistics and Donation Intern will work with the Logistics Coordinator to locate and distribute furniture and household items to newly resettled families in South King County. The intern will assist in setting up apartments, maintaining IRC storage units, and must be willing and able to assist with lifting and moving furniture. This position provides a significant amount of direct interaction with refugee clients and community partners. The intern will also assist in the tracking, valuation and recording of donated items.
LOCATION: IRC SeaTac office - 16256 Military Road S #206, SeaTac, WA 98188
TIME COMMITMENT: 5-10 hours/week (M-F between 9am and 5pm). Position begins ASAP. Minimum commitment is 3-4 months, depending on start date.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Locate and secure in-kind donations of furniture, clothing or household supplies
- Assist in the coordination of donation pickups from community members
- Assist in household setups, including moving mattresses, sofas & dinette sets
- Maintain organized and precise inventory of donations and distributed furnishings
- Enter rental agreements into database
- Catalog donations from family mentors and enter values into IRC database
- Assist in the assessment of household needs for newly arrived refugees
- General office duties as required
- Must be culturally sensitive and able (or willing to try) to understand limited English speakers
- Willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
- Ability to communicate clearly, effectively and articulately in English; additional fluency in a refugee language helpful
- Must be able and willing to lift 40(+) lbs.
- Attention to detail and familiarity with Microsoft Excel
- Must be flexible, patient, and willing to perform other reasonable duties as needed
- Enthusiasm and reliability are essential qualities for prospective candidates