Speakers Bureau Assistant Coordinator
SCOPE OF VOLUNTEER WORK:
Help refugees develop new skills and share their stories - become the IRC’s new Speakers Bureau Assistant Coordinator! The Speakers Bureau is a group of former refugees and IRC volunteers who speak about refugee issues at community events, schools, businesses, places of worship, universities and local organizations. The Assistant Coordinator will work together with the Community Relations and Development AmeriCorps VISTA to develop a Speakers Bureau that is able to simultaneously empower refugees and educate the Seattle community in regards to refugee issues, both locally and globally. This position is a great opportunity to develop project management skills in addition to learning about local refugee communities.
LOCATION: Seattle office - 100 S. King St. Suite 570, Seattle, WA 98104
TIME COMMITMENT: 1-2 days/week, 5-10 hours/week beginning early September. Minimum 4 month commitment.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
• Develop and implement effective recruiting methods to draw in new members
• Network and coordinate speaking events for bureau members
• Create and expand program curriculum and training materials for speakers
• Other related tasks as assigned
• Must be organized and self-motivated
• Comfortable with networking and community outreach
• Excellent public speaking skills
• Basic computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel and Publisher)
• Must be creative, flexible and patient
• Must be culturally sensitive and previous experience with intercultural communication is preferred
• Willing to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
Please note: It may be possible to obtain school credit for this internship, depending on your school policies and requirements. If this is desired, please mention when applying.