Nutrition and Food Security Intern
Job Title: Intern, Nutrition and Food Security
Country Program/Office/Department: US Programs
Location : Tucson, Arizona
The Nutrition and Food Security Intern works in close coordination with Reception and Placement Case Managers to educate newly arrived refugee families about nutrition and how to access nutritious foods in their communities. Through home visits and field trips, the NFS Intern will implement nutrition education curriculum around meal planning, food safety, storage, and health and wellness through diet choices. The goal of this program is to teach new families to make healthy meal choices from day one and be an active participant in their own preventative health plan.
- Coordinate with interpreters, case managers and newly arrived families to implement nutrition curriculum within first two weeks of arrival
- Transport families to local grocery stores to implement curriculum on how to identify and purchase nutritious foods
- Conduct follow up visits with the family to provide additional education around meal planning and selecting nutritious alternatives as appropriate for family composition
- Identify basic health issues related to nutritional deficiencies and adapt curriculum to meet these educational needs
- Track and document all field activities.
- Background in diet and nutrition education
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from other cultural backgrounds; strong interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated teaching skills, especially with English language learners
- Driver’s license, personal vehicle, auto insurance, and clean driving record and willingness to drive clients in personal vehicle.
- Ability to self direct and communicate effectively
- Ability to multi-task and direct students of all ages in loud and unstructured environments
- 10 hrs/wk for 3 months with blocks of time no shorter than 3 hours
- Primary availability during IRC business hours (M-F; 8:30am-5:00pm)
Reports To: Medical Case Manager
Submit a resume and cover letter in the same document and attach it to your USP Volunteers and Intern Application online. You may contact the Volunteer Coordinator at VolunteerTucson@Rescue.org. Some positions may require additional documents. Applicants will not be contacted for interviews until all materials are received.