Immigration Services Internship
Job Title: Intern, Immigration Services
Country Profile: US Programs
Location: Tucson, AZ
Immigration Services Interns work with Immigration Program Manager to directly assist clients in processing and filing of applications for lawful permanent residence, family reunification, affidavits of relationship, and other immigration petitions necessary to receive legal residency in the United States and reunite family members.
- Set-up and conduct intake and immigration interviews with assistance from an interpreter and immigration staff.
- Prepare and complete immigration applications and petitions on behalf of refugees, asylees, and immigrants for submission to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
- Conduct follow-up, including written and telephone communication with USCIS and respond to requests for further evidence and inquiries.
- Maintain case files by copying, faxing, and inputting information in immigration case management database.
- Notify clients of USCIS interviews; ensure they have immunization records, photos, and other required documents complete and available for the interview.
- Assist the Director to complete Affidavits of Relationship for family reunification; manage case files and client communication.
- Conduct community outreach to refugee and immigrant population.
- Assist with projects and administrative duties as assigned by the Immigration Program Manager.
- Strong desire to learn about refugee resettlement and immigration issues
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding client information
- Proficiency in another language is preferred, but not required
- Excellent time management skills, organized and attentive to detail
- Strong intercultural communication skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from other cultural backgrounD
- Minimum of 15 hours/week for 3 months
- Availability during IRC business hours (M-F, 8:30am-5pm)
See IRC’s AOR program at work through this story on a recent family reunification.
Report To: Immigration Program Manager
Submit a resume, cover letter, and internship application to Andrew Jenkins, Internship Coordinator, at VolunteerTucson@Rescue.org. Some positions may require additional documents. Applicants will not be contacted for interviews until all materials are received.