Intern for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Job Title: Intern for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
Country Profile: US Programs
Location: Tuson, AZ
The Intern reports directly to the Center for Well-Being Program Manager. The Intern will assist all IRC staff in developing appropriate approaches to addressing the needs of clients who are hearing impaired. Tasks may include conducting a needs assessment, networking with social service providers, and conducting outreach and training efforts with deaf and hearing impaired clients.
- In consultation with other service providers, conduct a community assessment on the needs of refugees in Tucson with hearing impairments.
- Network with Tucson social service providers to develop and enhance services for refugee clients with hearing impairments.
- Organize and conduct outreach efforts for clients with hearing impairments and their families.
- Organize ongoing training opportunities for clients with hearing impairments and their families.
- Coordinate activities with other IRC Tucson departments.
- Assure all paper work and reports are completed accurately and in a timely manner.
- Communicate and coordinate regularly with the Center for Well-Being Program Manager to ensure that services are being delivered effectively and in a timely manner.
- Attend required staff meetings.
- Assist with projects and administrative duties as assigned by the Center for Well-Being Program Manager.
- Pursuing a graduate degree in human services or related fields
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality
- Fluent in American Sign
- Experience working with deaf and hearing impaired populations
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience in program development and training
- Knowledge of the Tucson area social service network
- Strong intercultural communication skills; demonstrated ability to work effectively with people from other cultural backgrounds
- Must have driver’s license, vehicle, auto insurance, and clean driving record
- 12 hours/week for 3 months
- Primary availability during Business Hours (M-F, 8:30am-5:00pm) with occasional site visits in evenings
- Special consideration given to applicants able to make multi-semester commitment
Reports To: Center for Well-Being Program Manager
Submit a resume, cover letter, and internship application to Andrew Jenkins, Internship Coordinator, at VolunteerTucson@Rescue.org. Some positions may require additional documents. Applicants will not be contacted for interviews until all materials are received.