The IRC in Ivory Coast
Political tensions in Ivory Coast once again erupted into war in late 2010, displacing over a million people within the country and across the border into Liberia. The IRC has expanded its efforts to meet Ivorians’ urgent needs like clean water, medical care and shelter, and will continue to support them with ongoing services as they recover from the violence and move toward peace.
How We Help
- The IRC provides access to basic health care, clean water and education in the country.
- The IRC works to revitalize local economies by supporting community agricultural businesses and creating jobs for youths.
- We teach job skills to foster long-term economic stability.
- The IRC works to make childbirth safer and lower the child mortality rate.
- The IRC empowers women to make personal and economic decisions, increasing financial independence and reducing sexual violence.
- We support local efforts to monitor and report corruption and human rights abuses.