Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the IRC in Miami! Your willingness to invest time and energy in our work is invaluable to the refugees we serve. Use the following steps to apply for a position and you'll be on your way to becoming an IRC Volunteer!
- Contact the IRC Office: We can answer any questions regarding IRC and the role of volunteers and interns. To learn more about the organization, volunteer opportunities and the requirements.
- Select a Volunteer Position: You can view our current volunteer positions below.
- Request an Application: If you are ready to join the IRC as a volunteer, email [email protected] to request an application. Please note that the minimum commitment for IRC volunteer and intern positions range from three to six months.
- Interview and Background Check: Once we receive your completed application, a member of our staff will contact you to arrange an interview. A Background Check is required for all those who have been hired for a specific internship or Volunteer position. It typically takes at least two weeks to complete the application process (including the background check). Please note: The IRC in Miami respectfully requests that you contribute $43 towards its cost.
The Refugee Mentoring Program will be one of the many programs run by the IRC.
Learning the ropes in a new culture takes time, it can also be stressful. Newly arrived refugees can find it challenging to handle the day -to- day demands of life and understand U.S. American values and culture. Caseworkers often do not have time to help them with everyday struggles. IRC mentor volunteers in the program will offer refugees their friendship and will help them with skills and recreational activities that include:
- Educating newcomers on key transportation routes, i.e. Bus
- Learning to use the Internet
- Holding Role Play interviews
- Practicing English outside the classroom
- Getting a Library Card
- Applying for jobs
- Going to the bank, using and ATM and credit cards and much more
Volunteers interested in working with a refugee family need to contact Oasis Pena at (305) 640.9881 ext. 31 or via e-mail at [email protected]
The IRC in Miami offers several team oriented activities.
These activities range from group work days at a refugee garden to organizing a fundraising events. Gather a group of friends, family members, or co-workers and get involved! For more information, contact [email protected].