Internship positions with IRC are highly experiential and demand intuitive, motivated, and professional candidates. Prospective interns should currently be enrolled in an educational institution or be a recent graduate.
To be considered for an internship at IRC in San Jose, you must complete an online application and upload your resume and cover letter to the application. IRC staff will contact you when there is an available placement matching your skills, interests, and availability.
Now Accepting Fall 2019 Applications
For Full Internship Descriptions: Click Here
For full Internship Descriptions: Click Here
Priority Deadline: July 2019
Start Date: August/September/November
All internships require a minimum of 15+ hours per week for a 4-6 month period commitment or 20+ hours per week for summer. Please see each internship’s detailed description (listed above) for specific commitment requirements.
Preference will be given to applicants who can commit more time than the minimum requirement, or whose schedules allow two to three full days in the office per week.
Summer Internships will be considered until position filled.
IRC San Jose is committed to working with student schedules and can adjust internship dates and times during school holidays or midterm and final exam weeks. We accept internship applications based on both semester and quarter system schedules.
The full application process listed below takes 2-4 weeks to complete. All steps are required for consideration for an internship with IRC. We have limited flexibility with our application process, especially if you need an early acceptance notification for school credit, so please plan your application submission accordingly.
- Review our current available Intern positions.
- Complete an online application and upload your resume and cover letter to the application. To expedite the application process, fill in the “Interests and Questions” section as completely as possible. IRC staff will contact you when there is an available placement matching your skills, interests, and availability. Follow this link to apply online: Click Here
- After your application is reviewed, you may be selected for a phone interview.
- After a phone interview, you will complete an in-person interview with IRC staff.
- If the intern position is offered, complete an online background check. To protect our clients, all interns and volunteers are asked to complete a background check, and we ask volunteers to contribute $40.00 to offset its costs. All IRC volunteer opportunities are contingent on the results of the background check. This step can add 1-2 weeks to the process but is typically very fast.
- Once cleared, you will attend a general orientation before training and scheduling the first day.
Our office is a fast-paced environment that is successful due to both the personal initiative of individual staff members and the team-like mentality of the entire organization. The ideal intern candidate will be able to complete their daily responsibilities and problem solve with minimal supervision and provides support as needed to the overall team. Interns work alongside staff to provide direct services. All interns leave their internship with transferable skills that can help launch a career within the nonprofit sector.
All interns must be 18+ years old at the time of application.
All internships are unpaid.
If you are unable to complete the commitment required for internships, please consider applying for one or our volunteer opportunities.
Follow this link to apply online: Click Here
Email: VolunteerSJ [at] Rescue.org for more information.