Congratulations on being granted Special Immigration status by the United States and thank you for your service in Afghanistan. The International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Atlanta is happy to welcome you to your new home and we look forward to supporting you as you start your new life in Atlanta.
Afghan SIV recipients are eligible for the same resettlement assistance, programs, and other benefits as refugees admitted under the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP). The U.S. Department of State’s Reception and Placement (R&P) Program covers only your first 30-90 days in the U.S. Additionally, the Matching Grant Program – an early employment program – will extend services up to six (6) months after arrival.
The Department of State funds nine (9) Resettlement Agencies (including IRC) that participate in the R&P Program under a cooperative agreement. These agencies have over 300 affiliated R&P offices across the U.S. The resettlement agency is responsible for providing initial R&P services and assisting refugees and SIV beneficiaries to achieve economic self-sufficiency as quickly as possible.
Services provided to SIV recipients resettling with the IRC in Atlanta:
- Direct cash assistance
- Airport pick up when you arrive in Atlanta (if needed)
- Arrange suitable housing for you and your family (if needed)
- Comprehensive case management services (e.g. obtaining Social Security Card, providing access to food and medical assistance, enrolling children in school)
- English and job skills classes
- Employment services and support finding work
- Ongoing cultural orientation and integration services
If you have any questions please contact the IRC in Atlanta’s SIV Outreach Liaison, Janat Omed, at Janat.Omed [at] Rescue.org or on 404-925-0042.