Employ a refugee:
- Refugees are resilient and are eager to find work and integrate into their new community. The IRC’s employment services helps to prepare refugees for Atlanta’s job market and secure employment locally. All of our clients are documented and fully legal to work in the U.S. Consider becoming an IRC Employer Partner providing jobs and opportunities to our skilled team of refugee clients. Contact Volunteeratl [at] rescue.org for more information about how to hire refugees in your company.
Help us find affordable housing:
- We have received many offerings from community members to house newly arriving refugees in their homes. While we are deeply grateful, the IRC arranges for refugee families to rent their own apartments or houses aswe have found that it is a more sustainable solution that respects the inherent dignity of the people we serve. If you are connected to affordable housing opportunities in the metro-Atlanta area we’d love to hear from you. We’re always looking for new options for rental properties and apartments that can respond to the needs of our newly arrived clients. Contact Volunteeratl [at] rescue.org to share contact information on affordable housing.
Increase community involvement:
- Attend local events focused on refugee issues, Clarkston Community Center is a good place to look for upcoming events in our area - http://clarkstoncommunitycenter.org/.
- Attend film showings of “Salam Neighbor”, a movie about the resilience of Syrian refugees living in a Jordan refugee camp on the border with Syria. A list of showings can be found here - https://www.tugg.com/titles/salam-neighbor. *No showings coming up? Host your own – Tugg.com will show you how to organize a showing and event in your own community! A great way to raise money for the IRC too!
- Support and shop at Refugee owned or refugee friendly businesses – a good place to start is “Refuge Coffee” in Clarkston Georgia. By simply purchasing a cup of coffee you can help refugees who are training for food service and small business operations. And the coffee is pretty amazing too! For hours and locations go to: http://refugecoffeeco.com/truck/