The City of Phoenix, in partnership with the International Rescue Committee (IRC), is providing grants of up to $5,000 to refugee or asylee owned microbusiness.
Microbusiness owners, solo practitioners, entrepreneurs, gig economy workers (Uber/Lyft/etc.) , and independent contractors (1099) are eligible, even when the business is mobile, homebased, or its workplace is inside another business, such as a booth rental in a hair salon, or in co-working space.
Grants may be used to cover costs of operations, supplies and materials, or rehiring employees. No repayment is necessary for grants. Grant funds must be used by November 1, 2020.
IRC Phoenix Staff are on call to provide technical assistance to ensure effective navigation of application process.
Who is eligible?
- was operating as of January 1, 2019
- has no more than five employees, to include the business owner, as of March 1, 2020
- currently operates a physical/mobile location in the city of Phoenix
- has experienced at least 25% loss in revenue in March and April 2020, compared to same period in 2019 resulting from COVID-19
- did not have more than $1 million in gross total sales between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2019
- has not previously been awarded funds from the Phoenix Small Business Relief Grant Program or any City of Phoenix Resiliency Grant
Additionally, the applicant business must share the financial impact of this grant on their business and provide the W-9 form and monthly sales schedule from January 1, 2019 to current.
The application period is now open. Before applying, please review the grant information here. Additionally, grant information is available in the following languages: English, Arabic, Burmese, Dari, Spanish, and Swahili.
Please help spread the word via Facebook here.
For more information and application assistance contact IRC Phoenix staff:
Call: (602) 888-4387
Email: economicempowermentaz [at] gmail.com