A mentorship program for youth Afghan women (18-24) that aims to build confidence and self-sufficiency in areas such as education, personal finance, and employment through access to information and resources.
Our goal is to foster a positive sense of identity and help with setting and achieving goals through 1:1 coaching and mentorship. We also aim to build community through biweekly group “resilience meetings” and in-person weekend events.
- Virtual 1:1 meeting with mentee(s)
- Biweekly group Zoom meetings. Volunteers are encouraged to attend these, but not required.
- Weekend social events throughout the community. These events are optional, but we highly encourage volunteers to attend.
- Volunteers in this role can expect a minimum time commitment of 3 months.
- 1-2 hours per week (per mentee).
- Meet with one to three mentees, Afghan women ages 18-24, for weekly or biweekly sessions depending on the availability of both parties.
- Connect mentees with other community resources depending on their needs.
- Write session notes after each meeting. Curriculum topics include financial literacy, education, employment, and a positive sense of identity.
- Submit monthly reports to be taken from the aforementioned session notes.
- Bonus! If you have more than one mentee, facilitate group chats. If you have any additional knowledge to share, feel free to participate and share your knowledge in one of our group sessions.
- Bilingual preferred; Dari and Pashto speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Background in education, finance, teaching, business, or equivalent work experience.
- Remote volunteer opportunity with occasional in-person group events (attendance by volunteers optional).
- Full training and all needed materials are provided.
- Ongoing support for the duration of coaching sessions is also provided.
How to apply:
- Submit your online application here (must include resume and top three position preferences to be considered).
- Attend an IRC-LA Volunteer/Intern Information Session. Please sign up here.
Our Hiring Process:
- Interview with our Volunteer Specialist, Kristie Wong.
- Background check via HireRight (donation of $49 to help cover the cost).
- Attend an Orientation.
Please reach out to Kristie Wong, Volunteer Specialist, [email protected] if you have any questions.
Wish to learn more about this volunteer position and other opportunities? Click here to sign up to attend one of our Informational Sessions!