Airport pick up volunteers will work closely with caseworkers to receive families as they arrive at the DFW International Airport. Volunteers must have access to a car and be willing to transport IRC clients with it. Volunteers should also be culturally sensitive and respectful of diverse backgrounds, self-motivated and comfortable working with little supervision, and able to handle sensitive client information confidentially. Most importantly, volunteers should be welcoming and eager to help newly-arrived refugees settle into the DFW community.
Location: Primarily off-site in the DFW area (exact location disclosed to volunteers).*
Time Commitment: As needed, when caseworkers request help with transportation. However, volunteers should normally expect to spend 2-4 hours on a given day working with a family.
• Communicate with IRC staff about pick up and drop off logistics.
• Ensure client(s) have all their luggage and assist with reporting lost luggage if needed.
• Assist caseworkers with ensuring client(s) are properly buckled in and all luggage has been loaded to the car.
• Assist caseworkers with initial home orientation to ensure clients know how to safely use appliances.
• Record hours and submit a completed time sheet at the end of each month via the IRC’s online Volunteer Dashboard
• Available on an as-needed basis
• Reliability, attention to detail
• Work well under pressure
• Flexible and adaptive to change
• Excellent communication skills
• Provide valid driver’s license with current insurance
• Provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19
• Willing to adhere to IRC Volunteer and workplace policies, including confidentiality policies
How to Apply:
• Attend an info session
• Submit a volunteer application
• Complete a phone or video screening with the Volunteer Coordination Team
• Pass a background check ($45 contribution encouraged to offset cost)
• Complete orientation and submit requested paperwork
• Begin your service!