Please Note: This is an unpaid position. This position may be considered an internship for school credit, depending on your school policies and requirements. If this is desired, please indicate so when applying. The position is currently fully remote due to COVID-19.
Background: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. IRC teams provide health, infrastructure, learning and economic support to people in 40 countries worldwide. The IRC also provides support to thousands of refugees and survivors of human trafficking in 29 U.S. cities each year through initial housing assistance; case management and referral services; job readiness and placement; community and cultural orientation; health and wellness programs; immigration services; and youth programs.
IRC’s Washington Anti-Trafficking Response Network (WARN) program offers support to survivors of human trafficking as they rebuild their lives free from trauma and exploitation. WARN offers case management and advocacy to support survivors and increase access to survivor services. WARN also co-chairs the Washington Advisory Committee on Trafficking (WashACT), a Western Washington task force bringing together a multidisciplinary group of agencies engaged in the local response to human trafficking. WashACT seeks to ensure that victims of trafficking receive all resources available to them and that human traffickers are identified, investigated, and prosecuted to the utmost extent of the law.
Scope of Internship:The Anti-Trafficking Task Force Intern will support the efforts of WashACT to raise awareness of human trafficking response work in Washington State and to improve its systems for managing and sharing resources. This internship is a great opportunity to gain professional experience in the anti-trafficking sector and in collaborative, multidisciplinary work.
Time Commitment: Minimum 15 hours/week during IRC office hours only (M-F, 8am-5pm). Availability between 11:30 AM and 3 PM preferred in order to participate in WashACT meetings. Minimum 3-month commitment.
Location: Remote. This position will be fully virtual.
- Maintain WashACT website and draft new content
- Conduct topical research projects (such as to create awareness materials/resource lists, research human trafficking subtopics and draft reports, identify partnerships/outreach opportunities)
- Develop new tools for tracking task force membership and activities
- Publish monthly written WashACT member agency profiles
- Take notes at WashACT meetings and provide meeting and tech support
- Compile weekly WashACT human trafficking training announcements and new resource announcements
- Assist with regular program data collection, entry, and analysis
- Develop WashACT onboarding and training materials
- Collaborate with WashACT Coordinator to identify further opportunities for human trafficking awareness raising and support to task force member agencies
- Maintain a professional attitude and appearance as an IRC representative
- Fulfill other outreach responsibilities assigned by supervising WashACT Coordinator
- Detail-oriented and strong writer to aid in drafting effective materials for WashACT and to ensure correct data recording
- Familiarity with Windows operating system and confidence in basic computer skills (word processing, email, data entry); willingness to learn new basic programs in web and graphic design
- Ability to work with individuals across the spectrum of age, religion, race, culture, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation, and gender expressions and identities
- Ability to handle sensitive information confidentially
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a part of a team
- English proficiency, both spoken and written
- Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
Reports to: WashACT Coordinator
Updated: January 2023
How to apply:
- Please email resume and cover letter to [email protected] (indicate in subject line which position you are applying for)
- Volunteer Coordinator or IRC staff will follow up