The ESL Volunteer will assist our ESL & Civics Instructor in providing English as a Second Language instruction and assistance to refugees and immigrants in the community.
Location: Sessions will be conducted virtually via Zoom. If the volunteer and instructor agree, sessions may be conducted at the IRC-LA office.
Time Commitment: Minimum 4-5 hours/week during IRC office hours (M-F, 10 am-12 pm). Regular schedule required. Minimum 6-month commitment.
- Assist in teaching weekly ESL classes for refugees and immigrants.
- Help create and update the curriculum by preparing learning plans.
- Lead small to mid-size groups.
- Fluent in Armenian required.
- Experience teaching ESL is highly preferred.
- Great interpersonal skills and culturally sensitive.
- Virtual or in-person (at the IRC-LA office in Glendale) opportunities are available.
- Volunteers must be available 4-5 hours/week for classes Monday-Friday (lecture time and pre/post preparation). The positions available include:
- Literacy Class Volunteer: Mondays and Wednesdays (10:00 am - 12:00 pm PST)
- Beginners Class Volunteer: Tuesdays and Thursdays (10:00 am - 12:00 pm PST)
- Conversation Club Volunteer: Fridays (10:00 am - 11:30 am PST)
How to apply:
- Submit your online application here (must include resume and top three position preferences to be considered).
- Attend an IRC-LA Volunteer/Intern Information Session. Please sign up here.
Our Hiring Process:
- Interview with our Volunteer Specialist, Kristie Wong.
- Background check via HireRight (donation of $49 to help cover the cost).
- Attend an Orientation.
Don't hesitate to contact [email protected] if you have any questions.