The International Rescue Committee (IRC) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. IRC teams provide health, infrastructure, learning and economic support to people in 40 countries worldwide. The IRC also provides support to thousands of refugees resettling in 29 U.S. cities each year through housing assistance, case management and referral services, job readiness and placement, English language training, community and cultural orientation, health and wellness programs, immigration services and other community integration activities.
Overview of Internship
The Center for Economic Opportunity helps low to moderate income (LMI) immigrants to the US build their knowledge on how to budget, save and access credit, while learning the intricacies of the US Financial system and developing long term financial skills for financial success. As part of the Integration Program in IRC Los Angeles, the CEO is implementing a new tool to connect immigrants to safe, secure trustworthy products to empower their success in the United States. The CEO Intern will work with the CEO Coordinator and the Integration Manager in deploying and expanding the work of the IRC’s Center for Economic Opportunity through a variety of outreach activities as well as close one-on-one work with clients.
Remote (until further guidelines)
10-15 hours a week, during workday and on weekends.
- Co-create and design new work streams for new CEO in Los Angeles
- Assist and teach Credit Course- required for all loan applicants (one-on-one and/or group)
- Assist and teach Budgeting Course (one-on-one and/or group)
- Conducting outreach among IRC past and current clients
- Conducting outreach to refugee, asylee, and immigrant communities in IRC-LA’s service area
- Providing one-on-one financial coaching sessions
- Input and track economic empowerment data
- Collect client stories to showcase benefits of Integration program services for immigrants et al.
- Assist with other Integration Program activities as needed
- Experience in financial literacy or background in business, finance, accounting is highly desirable
- Must be culturally sensitive, respectful of diverse backgrounds and willing to work with English language learners; previous cross-cultural communication experience a plus
- Ability to handle sensitive client information confidentially
- Ability to communicate effectively in English; additional fluency in a language (ex. Spanish, French, Arabic, Farsi, Armenian) helpful, but not required
- Flexibility and a positive attitude a must!
- Applicants preferred who have valid driver’s license, vehicle, auto insurance and a clean driving record
- Willingness to adhere to IRC volunteer and workplace policies
How to Apply
Sign up for an upcoming virtual volunteer information session here
After attending the orientation, complete online application
Background check via HireRight
Please email Community Relations Coordinator, Carly Boos, carly.boos [at] rescue.org if you have any questions.
More opportunities in Los Angeles, CA
Financial Coaching Intern (Remote)
The Financial Coaching Intern will assist the Financial Coach in working one on one with immigrant members of the community, including refugees, asylees and Unaccompanied Minors to broaden knowledge in Financial Literacy and empower immigrant women, children and families in the Los Angeles area to take control of their personal and family finances.
Reception and Placement Intern (Remote)
The Reception and Placement Intern will work with the Reception and Placement team to resettle newly arrived refugee families in Los Angeles.
Face Masks Sewing Volunteer (Remote)
Do you know how to sew? Feeling crafty? The IRC-LA needs your help in delivering reusable face masks to refugee families and children in need.
Immigration Intern (Remote)
The Immigration Intern will work closely with the Immigration team to support refugees, asylees, and immigrants with immigration services.