Location: New Roots Community Gardens.
Time Commitment: Between 3-7 hours/week.
Responsibilities: Take ownership of regular maintenance and beautification for one or more of the New Roots garden sites. Set regular “office hours” to allow refugee gardeners to come work together and receive support.
Skills/Qualifications: Background and skills in gardening/agriculture required. Construction skills and knowledge of a second language are bonuses.
How to Apply: Complete a Volunteer Application online. Note: Please upload a resume or CV at the bottom of the application. Once your submission has been received and reviewed, you will be contacted about attending an upcoming volunteer orientation.
- Review our current available volunteer positions.
- Get to know IRC and attend a Volunteer Information Session. RSVP to our next session by sending an email to VolunteerTucson [at] Rescue.org.
- After you’ve attended an information session, fill out an application online. Please note which volunteer position you would like to explore.
- The Volunteer Coordinator at IRC Tucson will contact you to set up a brief interview.
- Complete a background check. The IRC kindly asks volunteers to consider a suggested donation of $50 to help us toward the cost of this requirement. Note: In addition to the background check, some volunteer opportunities require a valid Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card. Before applying, ensure that the suggested opportunity indeed requires a Fingerprint Clearance Card. Fingerprint Clearance Cards are valid for five years and offer clearance for the carrier to work with a multitude of vulnerable populations, not just IRC clients. New fingerprint clearance card applicants should apply under ARS 46-141.
- You're ready to get started! Depending on your role, you'll either receive further training from your in-office department or wait to be matched with a family to tutor and/or mentor.
Additional things to note
Please note the IRC takes great care to ensure our volunteers are properly screened, trained and placed in opportunities. It may take up to two months to get placed. The IRC in Tucson has a number of different volunteer opportunities available within all programs of our organization. Please take note that all positions posted may not be available at all times.
More opportunities in Tucson, AZ
Volunteers assist in managing the reception area by greeting clients and referring them to appropriate staff within the organization.
Family Mentor/ESL Tutor
Volunteers are paired with a refugee family and visit their home once a week to help them practice important life skills and improve English skills.