PURPOSE OF VOLUNTEER POSITION:
Community Volunteer will work closely with the Economic Empowerment team in providing basic community skills training to IRC’s female clients in Contra Costa and Alameda Counties. Volunteers will assist clients by leading them through the day to day skills such as:
- accessing translator services for medical appointments
- shopping at grocery and department stores
- practicing interview skills for job hunting
- preparing for written driver's license tests
- engaging in English conversation
The volunteers will work remotely in Contra-Costa or Alameda county with individual clients, either in-home or at a location arranged between volunteer and client. Volunteers will provide weekly progress updates to the Economic Empowerment Instructor.
- Minimum of 4 hours per week
- Community Skills Coaching: Provide one-to-one coaching for one or more female clients living in Contra Costa or Alameda Counties.
- Field trips: Escort client to community resources such as shops, clinics etc.
- Administrative Support: Maintain accurate coaching records and communicate weekly with EE Instructor
- External: Communicate with clients by phone or email to remind/update about appointment times
- Meet scheduled weekly commitment
- Perform all required tasks and functions
- Attend supervision as requested
We ask that candidates have the following qualities:
- Strong communication skills (both interpersonal and with supervisors)
- Strong cross-cultural competency skills
- Strong sense of personal initiative and be able to work independently in a remote setting
- Computer literacy with PC systems and software
- Experience working with multi-cultural populations
- Clean driver’s license
- Background/certification in TESOL
- Language proficiency in Dari/Farsi, Pashto or Spanish
- California Driver’s Licence
This position reports to the Economic Empowerment Instructor
Submit an online application here.
More opportunities in Oakland, CA
Administrative Support Volunteer
The Finance and Administration Department is responsible for the IRC in Northern California’s financial accounting functions and the oversight of the financial accounting processes of the offices to support programs. This volunteer position is within the Finance and Administration team and will support the team with various projects and month end close responsibilities included assisting with client coordination support and helping to foster an environment in which both clients and staff thrive in productivity. By providing support to the finance and administration team, the volunteer will help make the transition to Northern California easier for hundreds of refugees. The IRC supports new refugees with financial assistance, language classes, vocational training, and resume coaching.
Financial Inclusion and Opportunity Volunteer
The Financial Inclusion and Opportunity Program at the IRC works to ensure that all of our clients are equipped with the financial knowledge and tools they’ll need to thrive in the competitive Bay Area. Based on the Annie E. Casey Foundation’s innovative Center for Working Families model, it complements IRC’s wraparound employment and income support services with dedicated in-house financial coaching and access to safe, affordable credit-building products.
Immigration Clinic Volunteer
Gain experience with a broad range of immigration policies while supporting the Immigration Program's community-based consultation clinics in Fruitvale.
Oakland IRC’s Economic Empowerment program supports clients in rebuilding their lives in the U.S. The IRC supports new arrivals find their first job in the U.S. through Early Employment Programs, which blend classroom job-readiness instruction and individualized employment case management in helping over 75 percent of enrolled cases successfully find employment within 6 months of arrival to the U.S. While clients are looking for a job, they simultaneously learn about the complex U.S. financial services system, receive help in establishing bank accounts, and can access consumer advocacy and financial coaching support from IRC Financial Counselors.