Thank you for your interest in assisting refugees and asylees in our community. By volunteering with the IRC in Sacramento, you can share your unique experience and skills directly with IRC clients. Volunteer support is an integral part of the IRC’s mission to provide opportunities for refugees to thrive in Sacramento.
Volunteers in this direct-service support position assist newly arrived refugees to learn about their new environment by helping in various aspects of the IRC's Cultural Orientation (CO) classes.Cultural Orientation is comprised of required, federally mandated curriculum and speciality topic areas relevant to Sacramento and the populations we resettle. Responsibilities may include organizing course logistics, developing resources, transportation support, CO-related administration, in-home course facilitation, and other duties as assigned. Part of this position includes transporting clients for official IRC visits and appointments within the Sacramento area during the volunteer's scheduled time in the office.
The ideal volunteer in this role is:
- Effective in accomplishing tasks in a warm and relational way
- Comfortable using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Willing to support & complete fieldwork
- Experienced with administration, record keeping, scheduling and logistics
- Experienced with or desire to learn then teach public transit use
- Familiar with the Sacramento area, preferred
- Driving to help clients overcome barriers to receiving services
- Valid driver’s license, reliable car, proof of insurance
- Client-related mileage is eligible for reimbursement
Minimum Commitment: 6 + hrs/ week for a minimum 4 months during IRC business hours Mon – Fri from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Longer volunteer commitments encouraged.
All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and undergo a security background check
If interested in volunteering with the International Rescue Committee in Sacramento, please complete a volunteer application by following this link. You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator as needs arise.
More opportunities in Sacramento, CA
Citizenship Workshop Assistant
Volunteers will assist clients as they complete their citizenship applications.
Donations support volunteer
Assist with outreach, coordination, receiving, and tracking of in-kind donations to support newly-arrived refugees.
One time support for specific projects, programs, and Saturday workshops!
Donations & logistics volunteer
Coordinate and collect donations to help our families settle into their first homes!