Thank you for your interest in assisting refugees and asylees in our community. By volunteering with the IRC in Sacramento, you can share your unique experience and skills directly with IRC clients. Volunteer support is an integral part of the IRC’s mission to provide opportunities for refugees to thrive in Sacramento.
SCOPE OF INTERN WORK
The Donation volunteer assists in tracking in-kind donations, scheduling and picking up donations as well as communication with potential donors and IRC clients. This role entails picking up large donations (i.e. refridgerator, couches, tables, etc.) from community donors and distributing them directly to the client or to a storage facility. The volunteers will communitcate with donors and clients to provide effective and efficient delivery of donations. The Donations volunteer will lead the distribution of donations to clients in collaboration with caseworkers to ensure proper tracking and reporting of in-kind donations.
- Collect donations and deliver to clients or storage facility using volunteer's vehicle to transport donations
- Load and unload goods at the warehouse, destinations, and other storage facilities
- Collaborate with clients and staff to identify client needs
- Track and report in-kind contributions delivered to clients and storage facility
- Improve and streamline in-kind donations receiving, valuation, record keeping, reporting and acknowledgements
- Collaborate across departments with staff, volunteers, community partners, and clients
- Assists with sorting of donated goods
The ideal volunteer in this role is:
- a Teamplayer – every role works directly with refugee clients, interns, volunteers and IRC staff
- Energetic, empathetic, organized and ready to do a variety of jobs
- Creative and willing to assist with long-term projects
- a Problem-solver, industrious, and adaptable to changing deadlines and priorities
- in compliance with the IRC Way, IRC volunteer and workplace policies.
- Able to communicate clearly and effectively in English
- Able to lift 50lbs repeatively as well as squat and stand for prolonged periods of time
- Driving to help clients overcome barriers to receiving social services
- Valid driver’s license, reliable car, proof of insurance
- Client-related mileage is eligible for reimbursement
Minimum Commitment: 6+ hrs/ week for a minimum 4 months during IRC business hours Mon – Fri from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Longer volunteer commitments encouraged.
All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and undergo a security background check
Please review the service description here, and if interested in volunteering with the International Rescue Committee in Sacramento, please complete a volunteer application by following this link. You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator as needs arise.
More opportunities in Sacramento, CA
Sacramento Internship Opportunities
Current university students and recent graduates, apply your skills, gain hands-on experience, and impact lives.
Volunteer & Engagement Opportunities
Explore available volunteer opportunities and ways to mobilize support to serve refugees & immigrants in Sacramento.
Immigration Intern or Volunteer in Sacramento
Volunteers work with Immigration Program Caseworkers to directly assist clients with the processing and filing of applications for citizenship, lawful permanent residence, family reunification, and other immigration petitions necessary to receive legal residency in the United States and reunite family members. This position reports to the Immigration Coordinator and requires a minimum 8 hr/week commitment. Preference will be given to those who can commit a minimum of 15 hrs/week or more.