BACKGROUND: Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee is a leading, non-sectarian, non-profit organization providing emergency relief, protection, rehabilitation assistance, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. Domestically, our 22 offices across the U.S. ensure new arrivals have food, shelter, and clothing, and work with refugees to help them gain self-sufficiency.
SCOPE OF WORK: This position will be assisting our New Roots program staff in packing vegetables purchased from our farmers into bags, setting up our pickup location, and facilitating the pick up of food bags with DoorDash drivers. These food bags are delivered to food-insecure refugee and new American families who live in Salt Lake City. Many of these families are clients with our resettlement program or with the New Roots program. Through this program we are able to purchase produce from our farmers, giving them extra income, and then providing free, fresh, culturally familiar vegetables to families in need.
- Take out veggies from the walk in cooler at the farm
- Place out bags depending on the number of families on our list
- Fill each bag with approximately equal veggies
- Set up a canopy to set the bags under in the parking lot of the park next to the farm
- Assist the New Roots staff member in checking off names as DoorDash drivers pick up the bags and loading them into cars
- Once all the bags have been picked up, take down the canopy and assist with any cleanup needed in the packing area
- Ability to lift 25 pounds
- Ability to work in an outdoor environment in variable weather for many hours
- Ability to bend over to place things in bags on the ground
- Attend a mandatory general volunteer orientation. Sign up here: https://signu.com/pgo/FVjFCTJ
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.