Location: North Park, San Diego
Duration: 4-8 hours per week, 3 month minimum
Times Needed: High preference for availability on Wednesdays 3-6pm, Thursdays 3-6pm, Saturdays from 9am-1pm
Under supervision of IRC’s FarmWorks Program Coordinator and Employment Coach, the FarmWorks and Café Volunteer will assist in several aspects of IRC’s Youth FarmWorks and Café, a social enterprise job training program. The program provides a paid work internship for low-income youth (ages 16-20) from the City Heights neighborhood to develop transferable job skills during the internship and, hopefully, land a permanent job immediately afterwards. The IRC operates the Youth FarmWorks urban farm and pop-up farm stand and café each week as a job platform for the youth interns to develop real-world work experience, while also generating revenue to sustain the program long-term.
- Assist with farm and site maintenance for an attractive and pleasant experience for visitors and customers, including but not limited to: weeding, watering, site improvements, and various other garden maintenance;
- Assist with operations Youth FarmWorks farm stand and cafe on Thursday afternoons and Saturday mornings, including but not limited to harvesting and cleaning produce, beverage preparation, booth display, customer recruitment, and farm tours;
- Working alongside youth interns in a professional, mentoring manner;
- Other FarmWorks and/or FFP programming tasks, as needed.
- Predominantly outdoors on an urban farm environment
- Hands-on work in the soil and working with plants, compost and irrigation
- Must be able to lift at least 30 pounds
- Assisting with job readiness teaching and mentoring, youth aged 16-20 years of age
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to:
- FarmWorks Program Coordinator (primary)
- Employment Coach (secondary)
(**Please include the position(s) you are applying for under the "Top Three Preference" section of the application**)
More opportunities in San Diego, CA
VITA Tax Preparation Volunteer
Assist low-income families and individuals with tax preparation
VITA 'Lead' Tax Preparation Volunteer
Lead a tax team for this year's VITA program! Serve as a point-person for volunteers and provide assistance as an IRC-certified tax preparer to help put millions of dollars back into the pockets of low-income San Diego Families!
VITA Tax Program Liaison
Support and promote this year's VITA program with community outreach and administration assistance!
Would you like to help permanent residents applying for naturalization? Become an interview practice workshop tutor!