PURPOSE OF VOLUNTEER POSITION:
The purpose of the Financial Inclusion volunteer position is to support IRC clients in achieving lasting economic stability and financial self-sufficiency in the United States. The volunteer position also provides an opportunity to gain a deeper knowledge of the IRC and the U.S. refugee resettlement program more broadly.
- Time commitment will be dependent upon the availability of both staff and volunteer as well as a volunteer’s particular interests
Responsibilities will vary based on volunteer’s interest and skillset. Examples of what a volunteer might do could include:
- Teach or co-teach weekly 1-hour financial literacy lessons on topics including creating a budget, debt management, personal banking, avoiding predatory lending products, etc.
- Conduct basic budgets with clients
- Teach Introduction to Credit course in group or 1-on-1 settings on an as-needed basis
- Design and edit lesson plans on financial literacy topics
- Accompany clients to local banks to open bank accounts and/or secured credit cards
- Understand and follow the “IRC Way” policies and conduct
- Meet agreed-upon time commitment
- Perform all required tasks and functions
We ask that candidates have the following qualities:
- Commitment to the goals and philosophy of IRC
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Possess a great attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong sense of personal initiative and ability to work independently
- Interest in personal finance and financial literacy
- Experience working with multicultural populations
- Proficiency in a foreign language spoken by our client population (Dari, Farsi, Tigrinya, Burmese, Spanish)
- Background in finance, banking, accounting, consumer protection, or other relevant fields
This position reports to the Financial Inclusion and Opportunity Program Coordinator
- Submit an online application here.
More opportunities in Oakland, CA
Administrative Support Volunteer
The Finance and Administration Department is responsible for the IRC in Northern California’s financial accounting functions and the oversight of the financial accounting processes of the offices to support programs. This volunteer position is within the Finance and Administration team and will support the team with various projects and month end close responsibilities included assisting with client coordination support and helping to foster an environment in which both clients and staff thrive in productivity. By providing support to the finance and administration team, the volunteer will help make the transition to Northern California easier for hundreds of refugees. The IRC supports new refugees with financial assistance, language classes, vocational training, and resume coaching.
Immigration Clinic Volunteer
Gain experience with a broad range of immigration policies while supporting the Immigration Program's community-based consultation clinics in Fruitvale.
Client Coordinator Volunteer
The Client Coordinator volunteer manages the front desk and waiting lobby. This volunteer will always be the first person people see when they come into the IRC office. A Client Coordinator is responsible for setting and maintaining the overall environment, while clients wait in the lobby. Client Coordinators greet clients and help them access services. The volunteer is responsible for directing client needs to the appropriate staff member as well as answer phones, take messages, and respond to general questions.
H.O.M.E. Connect Program
The Housing, Outreach, Mentorship, and Education Program provides three levels of support for newly arriving families through community groups of volunteers. HOME teams (2-5 individuals) fundraise to provide a rental subsidy, a complete apartment setup and provide connection with the family.