High School Tutor
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises, helping to restore health, safety, education, economic wellbeing and power to people devastated by conflict and disaster. Founded in 1933 at the call of Albert Einstein, the IRC is at work in over 40 countries and 20 U.S. cities helping people to survive, reclaim control of their future and strengthen their communities.
SCOPE OF WORK: The International Rescue Committee in San Diego runs several youth programs, including after school tutoring for high school students. Many of these students are refugees and attend Crawford High School and Hoover High School. One-on-one and small group tutoring from volunteers helps prepare students for success in school. Tutors will meet with high school students located in San Diego, CA via Zoom breakout rooms to work through school assignments and provide strategies for students to develop their skills. Tutors provide a positive, encouraging, safe environment for students to utilize their skills and understand their assignments. Tutoring for fall 2021 semester will begin remotely, via Zoom, and may shift back to in-person services when safe to do so.
- Tutor training provided, including training for technology utilized
- Ongoing feedback and growth opportunities given
- Connect with other tutors, students, and IRC Staff
- Tutors guide students in utilizing their skills to understand and work on homework assignments in various high school subjects, including but not limited to: English, math, literature, history, science etc.; sometimes assistance is requested for college and/or scholarship applications
- Tutors are paired with students based on their subject strengths
- Tutors provide students with strategies in completing homework and time-management
- Tutors create a positive, encouraging, safe environment for students to learn and develop their skills
- Tutors are flexible, patient, and willing to troubleshoot any technological or academic challenges
- Tutors communicate with IRC Staff regarding any issues or availability changes
TIME REQUIREMENTS: Tutoring is conducted Monday-Thursday from 4-6 PM (PST) (subject to change). Tutors may choose their schedule within these times, with a minimum weekly requirement of 2 hours per week. A commitment of at least 3 months is required.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Familiarity with one or more common high school subjects
- Experience working with refugees or English language learners
- Experience working with high school age youth (ages 13-18)
- Experience tutoring or working in an academic setting
- Personable and comfortable working in a diverse, inclusive, multi-cultural setting
- Access to laptop, computer, or other device suitable for tutoring with access to Zoom and wi-fi connection
- Familiarity with technology and Zoom preferred•Background check clearance, including LiveScanfingerprinting background check
- Must be located in California, preference for those in San Diego.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement: In accordance with IRC’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards and our commitment to safeguard the health of our employees, clients, and communities, IRC requires candidates who are selected for interview to furnish proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be considered for this position.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusivity: IRC is committed to building a diverse organization and a climate of inclusivity. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate that they can contribute to this goal.
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
To apply to this position, please fill out an IRC Volunteer Application here and indicate that you are applying to the San Diego Office and which position you are applying for. If we would like to move forward with your application, we will reach out to you directly.
More opportunities in San Diego, CA
Tax Preparation Volunteer
The IRC operates a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program to provide FREE tax preparation services to individuals and families with incomes below the national average who would like to get the most out of their tax return. Last tax season, the IRC in San Diego’s VITA Volunteers completed more than 2,200 returns and helped our community receive more than $3.5 million in refunds. As a tax preparation volunteer, you will provide important support to individuals and families with incomes below the national average by guiding them through the tax preparation process and connecting them with other IRC resources when appropriate. You will work one-on-one with clients supporting them in navigating the ins and outs of tax preparation.
San Diego Internship Opportunities
Academic internships currently available at the IRC in San Diego. Currently recruiting for the following positions: Refugee Client Services Intern, Citizenship Education Program Intern, and Youth Programs Engagement Intern.
Women’s Resilience Center English Conversation Volunteer
Volunteers will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of English Conversation Sessions within the Women’s Resilience Center (WRC). These interactive sessions are hosted online, via ZOOM, where volunteers create a safe, welcoming space to practice English with WRC members. Keeping in line with the WRC's person-centered approach, topics for sessions will be guided by participants and their interests.
Limited Time Group Volunteer Opportunity
After a large influx of in-kind donations, we are looking for groups of volunteers, four per shift, to join staff in sorting and organizing donations. Email [email protected] if you have questions or a group who is interested.