Thank you for your interest in assisting refugees and asylees in our community. By volunteering with the IRC in Sacramento, you can share your unique experience and skills directly with IRC clients. Volunteer support is an integral part of the IRC’s mission to provide opportunities for refugees to thrive in Sacramento.
Join our housing team to help secure and set up first homes for our arriving refugee families. Volunteers assist with preparation for arriving families, visiting apartments to conduct safety and security checks, setting up furniture, and assisting with administrative tasks. If you have outreach experience, there are opportunities for the volunteer to assist in creating content and design for materials to enhance our partnerships with new apartment complexes!
The ideal volunteer in this role is:
- Experienced with administration, record keeping, and logistics
- Effective in accomplishing tasks independently - with guidance
- Comfortable using Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Powerpoint)
- Willing to support & complete fieldwork
- Familiar with housing in the Sacramento area, preferred
- Experienced in outreach & community facing communication, desired
- Able to develop content and design for outreach materials for apartment complexes
- Driving to help clients overcome barriers to receiving social services
- Valid driver’s license, reliable car, proof of insurance
- Client-related mileage is eligible for reimbursement
Minimum Commitment: 6 + hrs/ week for a minimum 4 months during IRC business hours Mon – Fri from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. Preference is to complete 6 hours in 1 day, if possible. Longer term volunteer commitments encouraged.
All volunteers must be at least 18 years of age and undergo a security background check
If interested in volunteering with the International Rescue Committee in Sacramento, please complete a volunteer application by following this link. You will be contacted by the Volunteer Coordinator as needs arise.
More opportunities in Sacramento, CA
Current university students and recent graduates, apply your skills, gain hands-on experience, and impact lives.
Donations & logistics volunteer
Coordinate and collect donations to help our families settle into their first homes!
Citizenship Workshop Assistant
Volunteers will assist clients as they complete their citizenship applications.
Client coordination volunteer
This integral role impacts every program and client within our office by supporting administrative and front desk operations!