Human Trafficking Case Aide Internship
Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) is a leading nonsectarian, voluntary organization providing relief, protection and resettlement services for refugees and victims of oppression or violent conflict. In addition, the IRC in Wichita provides community outreach, education and training, and case management services to victims of human trafficking. Other at-risk individuals and families are served through employment services, job readiness training, adult education and immigration services.
The Human Trafficking Case Aide Intern will work with survivors of sex and labor trafficking, assisting the case manager in everyday direct service activities. This may include, assisting with client intakes, documenting safety planning and ensuring clients have access to emergency resources, facilitating life skills classes, transporting clients to and from appointments, and working within a trauma-informed framework to provide services to some of Wichita and Kansas’ most vulnerable populations. She/he will work directly under the supervision and guidance of the Anti-Human Trafficking Program Coordinator and the Human Trafficking Caseworker.
• Assist in the development and dissemination of internal policy and procedures regarding the human trafficking case management program
• Assistance in and facilitation of internal training on policy and procedures and screening tools
• Developing a confidential online case file and case note management system for clients of the human trafficking program
• Assistance in the planning and implementation of events related to the IRCs participation in Human Trafficking Awareness month in January
• Assist case manager in intake services, including but not limited to, needs assessments, safety planning and service planning.
• Provide direct services to clients and, if applicable, their families, including providing home/shelter safety visits; enrolling individuals in public benefits;; transporting individuals to medical and mental health appointments ; and making referrals to community resources.
• Create case notes regarding all services provided to or on behalf of a client.
• Participate in case staffing’s, providing updates on case status as appropriate.
• Triage walk-in needs.
For the sake of stability and continuity, the IRC asks for a minimum commitment of 6 months, with at least 15 hours per week.
In-depth training will be provided for interns to understand human trafficking case management programming and the various needs of clients accessing services. A high-level of confidentiality is required when working with IRC clients.
Skills & Qualifications
• Must be enrolled in an internship program through a local university.
• Comfortable working with diverse populations and non-English speakers.
• Previous experience working with vulnerable populations preferred, but not required.
• Experience working in social work/social services preferred, but not required.
• Possess personal vehicle and valid driver’s license.
If interested, please send resume to megan.webb [at] Rescue.org; Heather.Angelinetta [at] Rescue.org?subject=Human%20Tafficking%20Case%20Aide%20Internship">megan.webb [at] Rescue.org and Heather.Angelinetta [at] Rescue.org
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.
More opportunities in Wichita, KS
Human Trafficking Outreach Intern
The Human Trafficking Outreach Intern will work alongside the Anti-Trafficking Program Manager to provide direct outreach services to victims and survivors of sex and labor trafficking. This will include, participating in outreach efforts in locations known to house at-risk, highly-vulnerable populations, including, but not limited to, homeless shelters, homeless encampments, Department of Corrections locations, and the hospitality, beauty and restaurant industries. The Human Trafficking Outreach Specialist Intern will facilitate and engage in discussion and training within the community, raising awareness and technical knowledge on the issues of human trafficking in Wichita and Kansas. The Human Trafficking Outreach Specialist Intern will also be responsible for liaising with established community partners to plan, organize and participate in January 2021’s Human Trafficking Awareness Month’s events. S/he will work directly under the supervision and guidance of the Anti-Human Trafficking Program Coordinator.
Virtual English Tutors
Virtual English tutors will work adults to acquire conversational English skills and to use those skills to meet self-identified goals, such as job advancement.
Digital Literacy Internship
The Digital Literacy Intern will develop digital literacy curriculum for people of all abilities by incorporating a variety of technologies into instruction. This intern will work with Adult Education instructors and Employment Caseworkers to plan lessons that integrate components of ESL, child development and computer skills. S/he may also help with administrative tasks. Must be comfortable working with clients from a variety of backgrounds.
Virtual English Instructor
Help newly arrived refugees learn English! The IRC's daily ELT classes provide clients with beginning to intermediate level lessons taught by volunteer instructors.