The first face community members see, volunteers serve a minimum of 2 shifts per week (8-9 hours). No immigration experience needed, but language capacity outside of English is a plus.
Location: City Heights Office
Dates Needed/Minimum Commitment:
- Minimum 3 month commitment; 2 shifts per week (8-9 hours per week)
Times Needed: (subject to change)
- Shifts Available: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-1pm or 1pm-5pm
- Greet and assist clients at high volume front desk, both in person and over the phone
- Maintain immigration caseworker calendar, scheduling and confirming client appointments
- Correspondence processing, database updates and maintenance, file making and management
- Assist the Immigration department with various tasks, as needed. Opportunities for increased involvement and responsibilities are available on Supervisor’s discretion.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Google Applications and Drive and multi-line telephones
- Customer service experience
- Proficiency in a second language (especially Amharic, Arabic, Dari, Farsi, French, Karen, Mandarin, Spanish, Somali, Swahili, Tagalog, Urdu or Vietnamese) is encouraged
- Attention to detail
- Ability to take direction (written and oral) and to complete tasks independently
- Ability to attend two day Immigration Training/Orientation in order to become familiar with Immigration services and procedures as well as volunteer duties and expectations (orientation will be coordinated with supervisor)
- Regular attendance is required.
- Attend an Immigration Training Orientation (5 hours); held once a month
- Additional one on one staff training
More opportunities in San Diego, CA
FarmWorks Volunteer Work Days
This is a monthly volunteer opportunity within the Food and Farming Department at the International Rescue Committee in San Diego.
Data Entry Volunteer
Do you have experience with online databases and data entry? Consider becoming a data entry volunteer!
Vocational ESL Classroom Assistant
Learning English is an important component of arriving to the United States as a refugee. Help us support those who are looking to learn a new language! Click here for more information.
Tutor Refugee Youth in El Cajon
If you want to make a difference in your community and leave an impact on our youth, this is the experience for you! Help refugees succeed in school by helping them navigate through their education.