The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. In the U.S., the Immigration Program provides assistance with applications for family reunification, lawful permanent residency (green cards), DACA renewal, non-immigrant visas, travel documents and more.
Scope of Work
The International Rescue Committee’s office in Oakland is partnering with La Clinica Fruitvale to provide immigration consultation workshops to communities in need. These events are held every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month from 9am - 12pm. Spanish-speaking volunteer support is needed during these times to interpret for IRC's Accredited Representatives giving legal advice.
- Assist immigration case managers with interpretation and translation
- Assist in the general administration of these immigration workshops
- Other duties as needed and assigned by immigration case managers
- Volunteers will gain knowledge of USCIS policies and procedures by assisting with caseworkers' consultations at these workshops
- Volunteers will gain knowledge of the types of immigration benefits available to refugees and immigrants and the steps involved in applying for these benefits.
- Must be available to volunteer during the workshops held every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month from 9am - 12pm;
- Minimum 3 months commitment;
- Fluency in Spanish required;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Knowledge of refugee immigration beneficial, but not required.
How to Apply
Submit an online application here. For any questions, please contact Kayla.Ladd [at] rescue.org (subject: Immigration%20Volunteer%20) .
More opportunities in Oakland, CA
Client Coordinator Volunteer
The Client Coordinator volunteer manages the front desk and waiting lobby. This volunteer will always be the first person people see when they come into the IRC office. A Client Coordinator is responsible for setting and maintaining the overall environment, while clients wait in the lobby. Client Coordinators greet clients and help them access services. The volunteer is responsible for directing client needs to the appropriate staff member as well as answer phones, take messages, and respond to general questions.
Contra Costa County, Community Volunteer
Community Volunteer will work closely with the Economic Empowerment team in providing basic community skills training to IRC’s female clients in Contra Costa and Alameda Counties. Oakland IRC’s Economic Empowerment program supports clients in rebuilding their lives in the U.S. The IRC supports new arrivals find their first job in the U.S. through Early Employment Programs, which blend classroom job-readiness instruction and individualized employment case management in helping over 75 percent of enrolled cases successfully find employment within 6 months of arrival to the U.S. While clients are looking for a job, they simultaneously learn about the complex U.S. financial services system, receive help in establishing bank accounts, and can access consumer advocacy and financial coaching support from IRC Financial Counselors.
Citizenship Workshop Assistant
Volunteers will assist clients as they complete their citizenship applications.
Human Resources Department Volunteer
Help the HR Dept with the assessment, refinement, and development of processes that will allow for efficient and smooth operations of the department. Every volunteer will work on a task or duty that will benefit the IRC program, clients, and/or organization while providing an opportunity for the volunteer to practice skills and gain deeper knowledge relevant to their educational and/or career goals.