PURPOSE OF VOLUNTEER POSITION:
Immigration Outreach volunteer(s) work with the Immigration Coordinator and Community Outreach Specialist to develop strategies in order to connect with the Bay Area immigrant population with a primary focus on providing Naturalization Services. The volunteer will be involved in identifying and establishing relationships with organizations and immigrant communities to assist individuals on their path to citizenship.
- 15 – 30 hours per week
- 3-6 months commitment
- Coordinate with the Immigration Caseworker to create a strategic outreach plan
- Identify immigrant communities within the greater Oakland area
- Outreach to organizations in the area working with immigrant populations seeking Naturalization Services
- Conduct community outreach to refugee and immigrant populations
- Create a database of helpful resources
- Assist with projects and administrative duties
- Other duties as assigned
- Follow the “IRC Way” of policies and conduct
- Meet scheduled weekly/monthly commitment
- Perform all required tasks and functions
We ask that candidates have the following qualities:
- Commitment to the goals and philosophy of IRC
- Strong communication skills (both interpersonal and with supervisors)
- Possess a great attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong sense of personal initiative and be able to work independently in a fast-paced office
- Computer literacy with PC systems and software
- Experience working with multi-cultural populations
- Strong verbal and written skills in English; Punctual and reliable.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding client information.
- Must have a valid driver license and clean driving record.
- Language proficiency; Spanish
This position reports to Immigration Coordinator and/or Community Outreach Specialist
- Submit an online application here.
More opportunities in Oakland, CA
Administrative Support Volunteer
The Finance and Administration Department is responsible for the IRC in Northern California’s financial accounting functions and the oversight of the financial accounting processes of the offices to support programs. This volunteer position is within the Finance and Administration team and will support the team with various projects and month end close responsibilities included assisting with client coordination support and helping to foster an environment in which both clients and staff thrive in productivity. By providing support to the finance and administration team, the volunteer will help make the transition to Northern California easier for hundreds of refugees. The IRC supports new refugees with financial assistance, language classes, vocational training, and resume coaching.
Financial Inclusion and Opportunity Volunteer
The Financial Inclusion and Opportunity Program at the IRC works to ensure that all of our clients are equipped with the financial knowledge and tools they’ll need to thrive in the competitive Bay Area. Based on the Annie E. Casey Foundation’s innovative Center for Working Families model, it complements IRC’s wraparound employment and income support services with dedicated in-house financial coaching and access to safe, affordable credit-building products.
Immigration Clinic Volunteer
Gain experience with a broad range of immigration policies while supporting the Immigration Program's community-based consultation clinics in Fruitvale.
Oakland IRC’s Economic Empowerment program supports clients in rebuilding their lives in the U.S. The IRC supports new arrivals find their first job in the U.S. through Early Employment Programs, which blend classroom job-readiness instruction and individualized employment case management in helping over 75 percent of enrolled cases successfully find employment within 6 months of arrival to the U.S. While clients are looking for a job, they simultaneously learn about the complex U.S. financial services system, receive help in establishing bank accounts, and can access consumer advocacy and financial coaching support from IRC Financial Counselors.