PURPOSE OF VOLUNTEER POSITION:
Immigration Outreach volunteer(s) work with the Immigration Coordinator and Community Outreach Specialist to develop strategies in order to connect with the Bay Area immigrant population with a primary focus on providing Naturalization Services. The volunteer will be involved in identifying and establishing relationships with organizations and immigrant communities to assist individuals on their path to citizenship.
- 15 – 30 hours per week
- 3-6 months commitment
- Coordinate with the Immigration Caseworker to create a strategic outreach plan
- Identify immigrant communities within the greater Oakland area
- Outreach to organizations in the area working with immigrant populations seeking Naturalization Services
- Conduct community outreach to refugee and immigrant populations
- Create a database of helpful resources
- Assist with projects and administrative duties
- Other duties as assigned
- Follow the “IRC Way” of policies and conduct
- Meet scheduled weekly/monthly commitment
- Perform all required tasks and functions
We ask that candidates have the following qualities:
- Commitment to the goals and philosophy of IRC
- Strong communication skills (both interpersonal and with supervisors)
- Possess a great attention to detail and organizational skills
- Strong sense of personal initiative and be able to work independently in a fast-paced office
- Computer literacy with PC systems and software
- Experience working with multi-cultural populations
- Strong verbal and written skills in English; Punctual and reliable.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality regarding client information.
- Must have a valid driver license and clean driving record.
- Language proficiency; Spanish
This position reports to Immigration Coordinator and/or Community Outreach Specialist
- Submit an online application here.
More opportunities in Oakland, CA
Client Coordinator Volunteer
The Client Coordinator volunteer manages the front desk and waiting lobby. This volunteer will always be the first person people see when they come into the IRC office. A Client Coordinator is responsible for setting and maintaining the overall environment, while clients wait in the lobby. Client Coordinators greet clients and help them access services. The volunteer is responsible for directing client needs to the appropriate staff member as well as answer phones, take messages, and respond to general questions.
Economic Empowerment Volunteer
Economic Empowerment in Oakland provides tools, resources for economic mobility, financial independence, autonomy. IRC Services are designed to assist clients with targeted, industry-specific career counseling and training. Clients who are ready to graduate from entry-level positions to more advanced career opportunities are able to access these services that will help them grow professionally. The Economic Empowerment Volunteer will support these services through direct client interaction, coordination of supportive volunteer services, and classroom training.
Contra Costa County, Community Volunteer
Community Volunteer will work closely with the Economic Empowerment team in providing basic community skills training to IRC’s female clients in Contra Costa and Alameda Counties. Oakland IRC’s Economic Empowerment program supports clients in rebuilding their lives in the U.S. The IRC supports new arrivals find their first job in the U.S. through Early Employment Programs, which blend classroom job-readiness instruction and individualized employment case management in helping over 75 percent of enrolled cases successfully find employment within 6 months of arrival to the U.S. While clients are looking for a job, they simultaneously learn about the complex U.S. financial services system, receive help in establishing bank accounts, and can access consumer advocacy and financial coaching support from IRC Financial Counselors.
Citizenship Workshop Assistant
Volunteers will assist clients as they complete their citizenship applications.